We’re Looking for a 2018 Public Relations Summer Intern!
About Grady Britton:
Grady Britton is a Portland-based full-service creative branding agency and a proud certified B Corporation. This nonprofit-led, independent certification means GB voluntarily invests in meeting significantly higher standards of sustainability, governance and giving back to the community in our daily operations. It stands for “Business as a Force for Good” vs. a belief that business exists only to generate profit. Now more than ever, we want our time and talent applied toward greater purpose.
Our mantra, “Leave today better than yesterday” is a simple, North Star of an idea that brings us in everyday: improving, inspiring, challenging, creating for better. Our community, relationships, strategies, processes, the work— and especially, ourselves. It’s what motivates GB’s difference: building business for brands that put people first.
About the Team:
The Grady Britton Public Relations team is part of a modern creative agency that works with clients with a Will to Be Great. The Public Relations Intern works directly with PR team members and provides support across all PR client accounts. This important member of the PR team is proficient in AP Writing, media relations tools and plays a big role as part of the agency’s integrated approach to marketing. The PR intern reports to the PR Director and has accountability to other team members in the department.
About the Position:
As the Public Relations Intern at Grady Britton, you will provide day to day support on client accounts across a variety of categories including food and beverage, consumer packaged goods, hospitality, health tech, startups, financial services, nonprofits and more. You’ll work closely with energetic, passionate coworkers in different departments, and be part of an integrated agency that puts people first. You will work with brands that are making the world a better place. The bulk of your responsibility will be supporting your team every day, with a can-do attitude. You’ll learn from experienced industry leaders who believe in and trust your talent and who will challenge you to become the best professional you can be.
- Building and maintaining media lists on behalf of our clients using Cision Cloud
- Drafting and editing copy for press releases, media materials, etc.
- Assisting with Grady Britton social media posts and agency PR efforts
- Reviewing and recommending incoming HAROs and Google Alerts
- Tracking all press coverage and generating monthly reports using Meltwater tool
- Assisting with media outreach as needed and attending editorial deskside chats with media influencers
- Monitoring and researching topical news subjects
- Developing social media content calendars
- Pulling weekly account hours for director and account managers
- Learning/training and becoming familiar with resources and tools like Cision, Meltwater, TVEyes and Rival IQ.
- Creating and archiving earned media clippings
- Working with team members to update weekly client status documents
- Conducting research as needed
Education & Skills Required:
- Actively pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications or related field from an accredited institution
- Junior or Senior enrollment status preferred
- Coursework with a strong focus in marketing, communications, journalism and/or public relations
- Understanding of AP Style, and strong writing and grammatical abilities
- Proven proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) skills a must; experience with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Excellent communication skills, including both written and verbal
- Strong organization and traffic management skills
- Proactive, independent thinker with high energy/positive attitude; willingness to take on a variety of projects and tasks of varying types with equal enthusiasm
- Ability to interact effectively with peers in a team-oriented operating structure, while also taking the initiative and working independently when necessary
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to collaborate and connect with agency staff, agency leadership, and media
- Strong organizational skills
- Candidate must be a self-starter and comfortable navigating ambiguity
- Excel and database experience are preferred
- Demonstrated leadership through work experience, campus activities and/or community involvement
- Understand key aspects and exhibit good judgment in communications and developing agency and media relationships
- This internship will begin on June 18, 2018.
How to apply:
Please submit the following information to [email protected]m:
- Cover letter – tell us who you are and why you’re interested in the internship.
- Writing samples – Can include coursework specific to public relations – news releases, PR campaigns, bylines, etc.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Thank you – we look forward to hearing from you!